- Evaluate the effectiveness of Siri on the iPhone
- Describe an experience of Artificial Intelligence from using chatbots
Words to learn: voice recognition, chatbot, artificial, intelligent, summarise
Starter – Voice Recognition
Over the next few lessons you are going to attempt to create a computer program that can think and reply to questions much like ‘Siri’ on the iPhone/iPad. Do you know what Siri is? What does it do? Does it work well – if not what are the problems with it?
Watch these videos to find out more about what Siri does (teachers only):
Share your current impressions of Siri technology. Does it make you more likely to buy an iPhone or an iPad?
As a class discuss the advantages and disadvantages of technology like Siri and how it may advance 10 years from now.
Main – Using Chatbots
To see what a Chatbot does, try having conversations with the following for a few minutes each:
As a class, discuss the following points:
- What sorts of questions are the chatbots very good at?
- What questions do chatbots not answer very well?
- What process/stages are taking place after the user types in a comment?
- What tricks does the chatbot use to make it seem real, e.g. artificially intelligent?
Write a couple of paragraphs with your thoughts about speech recognition technology. What works well, what doesn’t work so well, how do you think the technology will develop?